Grandma’s easy authentic eggplant parmesan with sausage. This Puglia-style version of a classic southern Italian dish is enriched with pork sausage.
- 1 lb eggplant
- 3 oz all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 ½ oz mozzarella cheese
- ⅝ tomato sauce
- 3 ½ oz grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 3 ½ oz pork sausage, fresh
- frying oil to taste
- salt to taste
- Wash and trim the eggplants, then slice finely. Place slices in a pasta strainer, allowing them to release excess moisture for 20 minutes.
- In a flat-bottomed bowl, beat the eggs.
- Dip the eggplant slices in the eggs and then immediately cover them in flour.
- Make sure that the flour is spread evenly across each slice.
- Fry the eggplant in a pan with boiling oil.
- Be sure that the slices are completely emerged in the oil.
- When golden, remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels.
- Use the tip of a knife to make a small incision in the sausage casing, then remove the casing entirely and dice the meat.
- While the eggplant cools, place a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Cover with a layer of tomato sauce, then with a layer of eggplant.
- Then add a portion of the diced mozzarella and sausage.
- Drizzle with a couple spoonfuls of tomato sauce and then cover with grated parmesean.
- Cover with another layer of eggplant and continue layering the ingredients as before, until they run out.
- Finish with a layer of eggplant and spread tomato sauce on top.
- Garnish with grated parmesan and bake in a 400°F oven for about 30 minutes or until the edges are crisp.
- Remove from the oven and let rest.
- Serve your eggplant parmesan with sausage room temperature or cold.