Polpette della nonna -my Grandmother Meatballs recipe.
Italians in Italy really don’t do the whole “spaghetti and meatballs” thing–and if they do, the meatball is huge and served as a second dish after the pasta.
- 1/2 lb ground veal
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons onion powder or 1 onion very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 large clove of garlic very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- olive oil (for frying)
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and combine until the mixture sticks together.
- Roll into golf-ball sized balls.
- Fry in hot oil, turning with a wooden spoon until all sides are browned.
- Add to sauce of your choice and let simmer for at least fifteen minutes to be sure the meat inside is cooked.
- Polpette della nonna is now ready to be served!
RECIPE FROM: http://bleedingespresso.com/2009/01/whats-cooking-wednesday-purpette-polpettemeatballs.html