For your Valentine’s day, a delicious italian RECIPE!
Makes 12 pastries
- 1 sheet ready-made puff pastry (about 230 grams or 8 ounces of pastry)
- 7 ounces (200 grams) ricotta
- 1/3 cup (65 grams) sugar
- 1 egg, separated (save the white for brushing the tops)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon or orange
- 1 splash rum (optional)
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) candied orange, finely chopped (see note for substitutions)
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
Heat oven to 180°C/350°F.
Roll out the puff pastry on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and with a sharp knife divide the dough into 12 even squares.
In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the ricotta, sugar, egg yolk (save the white for later), zest, rum (if using), and candied orange until smooth. I use a fork or a spoon.
Place about 1 heaped tablespoon of the ricotta mixture on the bottom corner of every square (not too close to the edges), then brush the rest of the surface of the pastry with the leftover egg white.
Immediately fold over the opposite top corner to create triangles encasing the ricotta filling. Press the edges firmly down with fingers or with the tines of a fork.
Bake 15 minutes or until the pastries are puffed and golden. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.