Here is the best recipe for Gnocchi e fagioli: Gnocchi & Fazool. Pasta and beans is a classic dish of Italian cuisine, a thick and tasty soup suitable especially in the colder seasons.
It is a so-called “poor dish” even though it is actually a dish rich in beneficial properties.
In fact, beans, especially dried ones, contain an excellent quantity of vegetable proteins, fibers, vitamins and mineral salts and a low glycemic index.
The combination of cereals and legumes also provides a complete set of amino acids comparable to that provided by animal proteins.
So go ahead for pasta and chickpeas, pasta and peas, rice and lentils and so on.
Servings: serves 4
- 7 oz all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ oz breadcrumbs
- 1 half cup water
- pinch salt
- 7 oz lard
- 1 clove of garlic
- handful parsley
- 1 spring onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 sprigs basil
- 1 carrot
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 oz pork rinds
- 7 oz beans
- 3 ½ oz grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- black pepper
- On a pastry-board, make a well in the flour and place the bread-crumbs in the center.
- Blanch the bread with the hot water, add the salt and mix with a fork.
- Leave this mixture to rest for about 30 minutes and then use it to shape some snakes of about 0.2 inch in width to be torn into pieces 0.4 inch long.
- Finally, on the pastry-board, press each piece of dough gently with the thumb, dragging it forward to obtain a small hollow dumpling.
- To prepare the beans: put the butter, oil and chopped mixture over a very low heat in a pot for about 15 minutes.
- When this has softened, add the drained beans stirring several times to flavor them, then add 13 ladlefuls of water and bring slowly to a rolling boil.
- Scorch the rinds and wash under cold running water.
- Place the rinds in a pan covered in water, and boil for some minutes.
- Remove from the pan while still hot and scrape carefully to remove any remaining fat and residues of skin.
- Cut the rinds into chunks of about 0.4 inch.
- When the beans are half-cooked, (about 1 hour), add the rinds to the pot and finish cooking.
- When the beans are cooked, add the “pisarei” which will cook in about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add half of the grated cheese and mix energetically.
- The remaining grated cheese should be used to sprinkle the serving plates.
- Add pepper and salt to taste.