Here is how to make the the Gatto Di Patate or Italian Potato cake. My mom made a dish that we called “Italian Potato Pie” which was essentially mashed potatoes with parmigiano and mozzarella folded in.
- 3 pounds potatoes
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced and sauteed until lightly browned in 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1-1/3 cups tiny frozen peas, defrosted
- 1/4 pound fresh mozzarella in liquid, drained and sliced 1/4″ thick
- Bread crumbs made with 3 pieces country style bread, processed in food processor and then toasted in skillet with a little olive oil over medium heat and seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Peel potatoes and place in large pot, cover with water and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and oil a deep baking dish.
- Slice the butter into a large bowl.
- Drain the potatoes and add to the bowl with the butter.
- Mash with a fork, blending in the milk, Parmigiano, salt and pepper.
- The potatoes should be lumpy. Fold in half of the peas.
- Spread half of the potato mixture into the prepared dish.
- Top with the remaining peas, sauteed onions and then top with the sliced mozzarella.
- Cover with the rest of the potatoes.
- Bake about 30 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and then top with the bread crumbs and bake another 10 minutes.
Recipe from: https://paninigirl.wordpress.com/2010/03/02/gatto-di-patate-potato-cake/