A good way to get the family to eat broccoli!
1 LB FUSILLI
1 LB SMALL BROCCOLI FLORETS
2-3 TBS OLIVE OIL
½ STICK BUTTER
1 LB ITALIAN SAUSAGE – casing removed
½ CUP FRESHLY GRATED CHEESE – Romano or Parmesan, your choice
3 GARLIC CLOVES – chopped
2 CUPS CHICKEN BROTH
1 PINCH OF DRIED OREGANO
RED PEPPER FLAKES – to taste
SALT – to taste
FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER – to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions in salted water just until al dente. Drain and return to the pot.
- While the pasta is cooking, sauté the sausage and the garlic in a large saucepan in some olive oil. Break up the sausage (hot or mild, your choice) as it cooks with a wooden spoon and continue cooking until no more pink is visible but not overcooked and crisp.
- Slowly add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the broccoli, cover, and cook until the broccoli is al dente. Stir in the butter and some of the freshly grated cheese. Cook uncovered until the liquid reduces to about half.
- When the liquid has reduced, add the pasta, stir in a pinch of oregano and some red pepper flakes. Toss everything well and top with the remaining cheese and serve.
- Pass some freshly cheese for sprinkling.