Castagnole or the Carnival Fritter balls are small Italian-style doughnut balls that are usually eaten around Carnival time just before Lent.
I make them much more often than that because they are so easy and made with 5 ingredients you usually already have! Try it also.
Yield: Makes 30
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 8 Ounces All-purpose Flour
- 2 Ounces Melted Butter
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 4 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Liqueur or Brandy (I Used Amaretto)
- Oil For Frying
- Powdered Sugar
- Mix together the flour, butter, eggs, sugar and liqueur until blended.
- Heat up the oil in a heavy saucepan to 350 degrees F.
- Take a small spoonful of the dough (size of a large olive or 1 1/2 inches) and gently roll into a ball and drop into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown on all sides and then remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined tray to remove any excess oil.
- Dust liberly with powdered sugar
- Serve your carnival fritter balls warm.