Here is the Fish Baked in Salt or Pesce al Sale. One of the easiest and fastest ways to prepare an excellent fish dish.
- 1 kg (2.2 lbs) coarse sea salt
- 1.3 kg (3 lbs) whole white flesh fish, such as sea bass, red snapper or porgy
- ½ cup (125 ml) still water
- 1 lemon
- extra-virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- In a bowl, mix salt and water together to form a paste.
- Place fish on baking sheet and coat thoroughly with salt paste.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove salt crust and season with lemon juice, olive oil, and salt to taste.
Dorade is a popular fish from the Mediterranean Sea.
Serving it in salt is a great way of preparing this fish, as it preserves its texture and moistness.
It is very important to use coarse sea salt for the casing as no substitute will do.