A great side dish to make a simple meal distinctive.
- 1 head cauliflower – trimmed, left whole
- fresh lemon juice
- 2 small garlic cloves – crushed
- 3 anchovy fillets – drained and patted dry
- 1 egg – hard boiled
- 1 tsp capers – rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp parsley – finely chopped
- Using a deep pot with a cover, steam the whole head of cauliflower in 1-inch of boiling water in which you have added 1 tablespoon lemon juice to help keep the cauliflower white.
- When water comes to a boil, simmer for about 10 minutes, then cover and simmer for an additional 15 – 20 minutes. Do not overcook the cauliflower. Drain it well and move to a deep serving dish.
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- When foam subsides, add the garlic and sauté for about a minute or two.
- Stir in anchovy fillets and mash with a wooden spoon until the anchovies are dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Separate the yolk and white from the egg.
- Finely chop the white and press the yolk through a sieve and set aside.
- Just before serving the cauliflower, quickly reheat the anchovy sauce over low heat.
- Stir in the chopped egg white and 1 or 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice.
- Stir in the capers.
- Pour hot anchovy sauce over the top of the cauliflower and sprinkle with the egg yolk and a little parsley.
- Cut the cauliflowers down to serving size pieces and spoon the anchovy sauce over all.