This is how to have an extraordinary eggplant in your table.
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie crust – unbaked
- 3 garlic cloves – minced
- ¼ cup butter
- 8-10 oz sauce – homemade or canned
- 2 cups eggplant – peeled and cubed
- ¾ lb ground beef
- ¾ cup onion – chopped
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- grind of black pepper – to taste
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella – divided
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Heat pan over medium heat and melt butter.
- Add eggplant cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from the pan and set aside.
- To the pan add beef, onion and garlic and cook stirring until beef is browned and large chunks are broken up.
- Drain liquid from pan, add tomato sauce, oregano and pepper.
- Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring for about 6-8 minutes. Stir in eggplant.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in ½ of the cheese and spoon the mixture into the pie crust.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until the pie is golden brown.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese on top and bake a few minutes longer until the cheese is completely melted.