These killer espresso coffee cake mini muffins are a coffee lovers dream!
Cakey, a little sweet, and loaded with espresso, they’re great for breakfast or a mid afternoon snack.
The fact that they’re bite sized makes them even better!
For the muffins:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp finely ground espresso
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 packet vanillina, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 double shot of espresso, or approximately 1/4 cup liquid espresso
- 1 egg
For the streusel:
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/8 tsp finely ground espresso
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare your mini muffin pans.
- I use a brand that doesn’t require greasing or liners but prep your pans as you normally would.
- In a small bowl add the milk and espresso grounds and set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl mix together the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, baking powder and vanillina.
- Add the melted butter and double shot of espresso and mix into the dry ingredients.
- Next add the egg and the milk with espresso grounds and mix until well incorporated.
- For the streusel, mix together all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pans, filling each cup almost to the top.
- Finish each one with a small amount of the streusel mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a cooling rack.
- These also freeze really well and thaw fairly quickly, making them handy for pre-made breakfast muffins or snacks.
Source and picture Monte Nero