A Heartwarming Escarole Soup with Chicken Meatballs. Nothings beats a wholesome and homey soup. I set my heart into cooking it because it gives comfort to my family, friends and to our guests when there’s a special gathering. Soup is indeed the kindest course of a meal!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ cup grated pecorino
- 3 garlic cloves – sliced
- 1 egg – slightly beaten
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 8 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove – minced
- 2 medium onions – thinly sliced
- 1 small onion – minced
- ¼ cup good white wine
- 2 large heads escarole – cored and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch parsley – minced
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Mix chicken, bread crumbs, grated cheese, ¼ cup oil, minced onion, minced garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, and egg in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Form into 30 little meatballs and chill.
- Heat remaining oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the sliced garlic and onions. Cook until lightly browned for about 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and stir until the aroma of alcohol is gone. Then add escarole, then cook until wilted.
- Add stock, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add meatballs and cook until the meatballs are thoroughly cooked, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Note: This soup is good served with crusty Italian bread toasted with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Or you can serve it using cooked rice or Pastina, or Ditali.