The exquisite Eggplant Sformato. A sweet friend of mine surprised me with a lovely eggplant
from her garden and I put it to good use rather quickly
with the few ingredients had on hand. I love it when my friends
have vegetable gardens!
- Get a medium size eggplant, cut a little off both ends and slice about ¼-inch thick.
- Lay out on your cutting board or a platter and salt with sea salt both sides, rubbing it in a little…no need to rinse later unless you want to.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of butter in a cold large frying pan and spread around.
- Circle the eggplant slices around the cold pan.
- Set the pan on moderate heat and cook, covered, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn over each slice, sprinkle with a little more salt and some black pepper, cover and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes until they are browned and very slightly crusty.
- While the eggplant is cooking, break 2 large eggs in a bowl, sprinkle with salt, pepper, a little garlic powder and a pinch of oregano. When the second side of the eggplant is nicely browned, and all the slices are in a nice circle around the pan, slowly pour the egg mixture overall, cover and cook for about 3 – 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove the cover, sprinkle with shredded mozzarella, add some half-sliced cherry or grape tomatoes (optional, but very tasty), cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the egg is completely set and it all looks a little like a flan.
- Let rest for a few minutes, slide on to a large plate, cut and serve.
- Enjoy your Eggplant Sfomato.