Here is the Diplomatico: Rum and Coffee Flavored Chocolate Mousse Cake. This cake is sliced and brushed with an espresso/rum mixture, filled with chocolate mousse and finished with whipped cream.
It’s really delicious.
Use whatever berries look good to you.
- 1/2 cup espresso (or strong coffee)
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate (I used chips)
- 1 store bought pound cake, about 12 ounces (I used the Family size large Sara Lee)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Assorted berries
- Make the coffee and mix in 1 tablespoon of the sugar, the water and rum. Set aside to cool.
- Place a saucepan half filled with water over medium heat.
- Cut the chocolate into small pieces (or use chips) and put it in a small metal bowl.
- Put the bowl over the saucepan.
- Once the chocolate is melted, remove the pot from the heat but leave the bowl with the chocolate over it.
- Slice the pound cake lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices and line the bottom and sides of a 1 1/2 quart loaf pan with the cake.
- Use a pastry brush to generously brush the pound cake with the coffee mixture.
- The cake should be soaked through but not so drenched that it falls apart.
- Separate the eggs.
- Put the yolks in the bowl of an electric mixer and the whites in a separate bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar to the yolks and whisk until the mixture is smooth, pale yellow and forms ribbons.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix well. Whip the egg whites on high speed until they form stiff peaks, then carefully fold them into the chocolate mixture.
- To make folding easier, mix in a spoonful of egg whites first to soften the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the lined loaf pan.
- Cover with a layer of the remaining sliced pound cake and dab with the coffee mixture.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days.
- When ready to serve, whip the cream with the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar until it forms soft peaks.
- Unmold the cake onto a flat plate, tapping it gently to loosen it.
- Frost it with the whipped cream and decorate with the berries.
- Serve chilled.
Source and Pictures: http://italiandish.squarespace.com/imported-20090913150324/2009/3/19/il-diplomatico.html