The Decadent Italian Deep Fried Artichokes. For your Christmas table,try this fantastic Italian recipe!
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 15 min
- 8 small baby artichokes
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 4 large eggs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh, Italian parsley, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Oil for frying (canola, vegetable)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups plain, fine breadcrumbs, preferably homemade
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Clean the artichokes (see tips for better artichokes).
- Remove one artichoke at a time from the acidulated water.
- The easiest way to remove the choke is to cut the artichoke into quarters lengthwise.
- Proceed by drawing the tip of a knife’s blade across just below the choke to draw it out.
- Then half each quarter and return the cleaned artichoke to the acidulated water until needed.
- Proceed in the same manner with the remaining artichokes.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium-size pot of cold water to a boil.
- Add coarse salt to taste.
- Dissolve the flour in the 1/2 cup water and add it to the pot.
- When the water returns to a boil drain the artichokes and place them in the boiling water and cook uncovered until they are crisp tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain the artichokes, transfer to a platter lined with paper towels or a kitchen towel to absorb excess water and let cool covered with a wet kitchen towel.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Place the flour and breadcrumbs into separate large bowls.
- Working in batches, add the artichoke pieces to the flour and toss, separating the pieces to coat well.
- Dip the pieces into the egg mixture and then coat them with the breadcrumbs.
- Repeat until all the artichokes have been coated.
- Refrigerate 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pour 2 inches of oil in a heavy, medium-size saucepan, and heat to 350 deg. F.
- Lower the artichoke into the hot oil, making sure not to crowd the pan.
- Fry until they have a nice, golden color.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a platter lined with paper towels.
- When all the artichokes have been fried, season with salt and garnish with lemon wedges.