From my Mamma’s memories, one of the most simple and amazing Italian recipe.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 thick slices whole wheat bread
- 2 large red or yellow peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips
Combine the garlic, tomatoes, sugar, salt, oregano and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a small bowl.
Mix. Cover and set aside.
Warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a sauté pan and brown the bread slices on both sides.
Transfer the slices of paper to drain.
Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the peppers over medium heat until they soften and begin to brown.
Transfer the peppers to the bowl with the tomatoes and mix well.