Here is the amazing Crostata della nonna or Grandma’s Italian cherry pie. Nonna” in Italian means Grandmother.
This is a Grandmother’s tart filled with cherry, blueberry or raspberry preserves.
A simple and sweet dessert to make when you’re in the mood for a comfort food.
Servings: Serves 8
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon packed grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon (scant) salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups cherry, raspberry or blueberry preserves
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Blend flour, sugar, lemon peel and salt in processor for 10 seconds.
- Add butter and process until coarse meal forms.
- Add yolks and egg and process until moist clumps form.
- Transfer dough to work surface.
- Gather dough into ball and knead 1 minute.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces, one slightly larger than the other.
- Press larger dough piece evenly onto bottom and halfway up sides of a round 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Spread 1 to 1 1/2 cups preserves in crust.
- Cut remaining dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll pieces between hands and work surface into pencil-thin ropes.
- Arrange 6 ropes over preserves, spacing evenly and pressing ends to seal at crust edge; trim extra dough.
- Arrange remaining 6 ropes in opposite direction, spacing evenly and forming lattice pattern.
- Press ends to seal at crust edge; trim extra dough.
- Bake tart until crust is golden brown, piercing with toothpick if bottom crust bubbles, about 50 minutes.
- Cool tart in pan on rack. Can be prepared 8 hours ahead.
- Let stand at room temperature.
- Remove pan sides.
- Lightly sift powdered sugar over tart, cut into wedges and serve.