Here is the creme caramel dessert best recipe. Creme caramel is a custard that has been baked in a Caramel-coated mold.
When the chilled custard is turned out onto a serving plate it is automatically glazed and sauced with the caramel in the mold.
In Italy it is known as Crema Caramella, and in Spain as Flan.
SERVINGS: Serves 6
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- Cooking spray
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Fresh Raspberries or Strawberries, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons water in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.
- Continue cooking an additional 4 minutes or until golden.
- Immediately pour into 6 (6-ounce) ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray, tilting each cup quickly until caramelized sugar coats bottom of cup. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and egg white in a medium bowl with a whisk.
- Stir in milk, vanilla, ⅔ cup sugar, and salt. Divide the mixture evenly among prepared custard cups.
- Place cups in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan, and add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cups from pan.
- Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
- Loosen edges of custards with a knife or rubber spatula.
- Place a dessert plate, upside down, on top of each cup; invert onto plates.
- Drizzle any remaining caramelized syrup over custards.
- Garnish with raspberries, or strawberries, if desired.