(Crema di Limoncello aka. Lemon Cream Liqueur)
- 1 cup vodka – unflavored
- 2 ¼ cups whole milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Peel of 3 lemon – no white pith
- ¾– 1 cup sugar – adjust to your taste
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- Combine vodka and lemon peels in a large glass jar.
- Cover, give a good shake and place in a dark cool place for 1 week. However, you must stir the mixture once every day to get a good lemon flavor.
- After 1 week, strain and save ½ of the peels.
- In a medium pot, combine the milk and the reserved peels and slowly bring to a boil.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add the sugar, vanilla and heavy cream, return pot to a low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat. Let the mixture cool completely and then remove the lemon peels and discard.
- Stir into the vodka and place in freezer until ready to serve. It has to be in the freezer for at least 3 hours before serving. As an alternative you can just keep in the refrigerator and serve over ice. Makes about 3 ¼ cups.
Note: I love anything lemon. We usually have 5 lemon trees outside on our deck that we nurture and bring into our screened porch every winter. Unfortunately a few are struggling this year! The smell of the lemon blossoms is wonderful, and it is so much fun to watch the little lemons develop. This drink is very refreshing.