This super-easy recipe for cream puffs is a favorite in our kitchens.
Filled with a simple coffee-flavored whipped cream, these pretty puffs make a stunning dessert.
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hr. 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules or crystals
- Heat oven to 400°F. In 2 1/2-quart saucepan, heat water and butter to rolling boil. Stir in flour; reduce heat to low. Stir vigorously about 1 minute or until mixture forms a ball; remove from heat. Beat in eggs all at once; continue beating until smooth. Drop dough by scant 1/4 cupfuls 3 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool away from draft, about 30 minutes. Cut off top third of each puff and pull out any strands of soft dough.
- In chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream and instant coffee granules with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fill puffs with whipped cream mixture; replace tops. Store in refrigerator.
- Drizzle with hot fudge topping for a decadent finish.
- For a quick dessert, use coffee ice cream instead of the coffee-flavored whipped cream to fill the cream puffs.