Here is one of the best ways to cook clams with garlic and wine.
- 6 lbs clams
- 4 garlic cloves – minced
- Red chili flakes – to taste
- Crusty Italian bread
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh parsley – chopped
- 2 cups dry white wine – choose a wine you will enjoy drinking as you cook
- Soak the clams in cold water for about 30-45 minutes. Cleans off any beards and discard any clams with cracked shells.
- In a large skillet, combine the olive oil, garlic, parsley, and red Chile flakes. Cook on medium heat for 4 or 5 minutes. Add clams and wine. Cover and cook about 5 minutes or until the clams begin to open. Discard any that have not.
- Transfer clams to serving bowls with their pan juices. Serve with crusty Italian bread to sop up (fare la scarpetta) the delicious juices.
- Savor your How to cook Clams with Garlic and Wine.
Fare la scarpetta is a term my Nonna used to mean, grab a piece of bread and make sort of a shoe to help move things around your plate or sop up the sauce.
NOTE: Remove the clams, add some butter (a good amount) to the pan and cook until melted and well combined.Boil some pasta, pour the sauce over the pasta, add the clams on top and serve for a nice Spaghetti and Clam Sauce dinner.