Here is the gratifying Ciccitielli or Calabrian honey and Anise fritters. These delicious honey-covered fritters are traditionally prepared in Calabria around Christmas time.
- 2 lb all-purpose flour
- 10 eggs
- 5 oz sugar
- 5 oz butter
- 2 half cups anise liqueur
- 10 oz honey
- ½ cup water
- 1 package baking powder
- frying oil to taste
- 1 pinch salt
- In a large bowl, mix together seven whole eggs, three egg yolks, sugar, butter, anise liqueur and a pinch of salt.
- Once well mixed, add the baking powder and slowly pour in the flour, stirring continuously until you have a smooth, yet firm dough.
- Cover and let the dough rest for an hour.
- Then, roll out the rough until ½ inch thick.
- Cut out little stars, circles, sticks or any form you prefer.
- Fry the ciccitielli a few at a time in a pan of boiling oil.
- Make sure the dough is completely covered by the oil.
- Once golden brown, remove the fritters using a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with papery towels.
- Once all of the dough has been fried, melt the honey in a pot with ½ cup water.
- Let boil for 10 minutes, then remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the fritters and stir carefully.
- Place the honey-covered fritters on a plate and serve immediately or at room temperature.
Source and picture: Academia Barilla