A sweet little dessert cake or just perfect for “merenda”, which
is the daily afternoon snack for Italians, especially the young people!
1 LARGE EGG
½ CUP BUTTER – very cold, cubed
½ CUP SUGAR
2 CUPS FLOUR
½ TSP BAKING POWDER
1 TSP VANILLA or ALMOND EXTRACT
¼ CUP HALF AND HALF
¼ CUP APRICOT PRESERVES
1 TB WATER
EXTRA SUGAR – for sprinkling
1 LB RICOTTA – drained
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and ½ cup of sugar in the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
- Continue pulsing as you add the butter, one cube at a time and continue pulsing until a mixture that resembles fine gravel has formed.
- In a separate bowl, combine, egg, extract, Half and Half and beat with a fork. Pour this mixture into the food processor and pulse continuously until a small ball has formed.
- Remove dough from the processor and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Gently shape into a log about 14-inches long and 1 ½-inches round.
- Place on a buttered baking sheet and form into a ring, pressing the ends together so that they are tightly joined. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until it is just golden brown on the bottom.
- Partially cool on a rack until lukewarm and then carefully slice. It is now perfect for “merenda”.
- To serve as a dessert, add a little water to the preserves and stir to thin out a little.
- Place a mound of ricotta in a shallow bowl and top with preserves.
- Serve the warm wedges on a dessert plate and pass the ricotta topped apricot for topping.