There is nothing like genuine homemade Itailan Knot Cookies.
They are like a little taste of love all wrapped in one small bite.
- 5 Eggs
- 5 teaspoons of baking powder
- 5 tablespoons of sugar
- 5 large tablespoons of Crisco
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose unbleached flour (may have to use more depending on dough/for medium dough, softened)
- Lemon Zest of one lemon
- pinch of salt
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Mix in bowl, eggs, sugar, Crisco and lemon zest.
- Mix together and blend baking powder, flour and a pinch of salt with eggs, sugar and Crisco. Form quarter sized balls of dough. Put dough on board and roll long thin strips.
- Take strip and put it around your fingers to form a rope and twist into a simple knot shape (tuck the ends under)
- Bake at 350 degrees on lightly greased or non-stick baking sheet for 14-20 minutes.
- Mix until smooth Dip cooled cookies into glaze Place on rack and dust with rainbow sprinkles.
If you want different colored cookies, just add a few drops of food coloring to the icing.