The Christmas Eggnog. For this eggnog, the egg yolks and sugar are blended and cooked in milk to form an “egg-safe” custard base.
A splash of Cognac and sprinkling of freshly grated nutmeg make this a festive holiday drink.
SERVINGS: Makes 8 servings
- 6 cups whole or lowfat milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons Cognac (optional)
- 2/3 cup chilled whipping cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste (or ground nutmeg)
- Place milk in heavy large saucepan.
- Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean.
- Bring to simmer. Remove from heat.
- Cover; steep 15 minutes. Discard vanilla bean.
- Whisk yolks and sugar in large bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Return mixture to saucepan.
- Using rubber spatula, stir mixture over low heat until bubbles subside and mixture thickens slightly (do not boil), about 12 minutes. Cool.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold. (At this point, eggnog can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
- Mix Cognac (if using) into eggnog mixture. Using electric mixer, beat whipping cream in large bowl until firm peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream into eggnog mixture just until blended. (At this point, eggnog can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Ladle eggnog into glasses.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated nutmeg (or ground nutmeg) and serve.
- Enjoy your Christmas Eggnog.
Source and picture: DianaDesserts