Homemade cannoli shells stuffed with a ricotta cheese filling that’s dense with chocolate chips.
These festive Chocolate Peppermint Cannoli are dipped in crushed peppermints for a dash of color.
Prep Time: 1h 45m
Yield: 12 cannolis
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, no white bitter pith
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil (olive oil is fine)
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour*
- 1 egg white for sealing dough
- 11/2 quarts peanut oil
- 16 ounce container whole milk ricotta
- 1/2 cup Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon, no white bitter pith
- Zest of 1 orange, no white bitter pith
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Handful of peppermint candies
- For shells: In a mixing bowl whisk together eggs, wine, salt, vanilla extract, sugar, lemon zest and vegetable oil.
- Add flour and knead until dough is very smooth about 3-5 minutes. Cover with plastic and place in a refrigerator for at least one hour or overnight.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, keep it covered and remove a whole pecan size amount at a time. Roll each piece into an oval-round and evenly thin to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Wrap dough around Cannoli tubes and seal the overlapping part with a tiny amount of egg white. Do not use too much egg white as doing so may make the seal come undone during frying.
- Place plastic wrap on each shell as you finish it.
- Once all shells are wrapped on tubes, heat oil to 375°F. Remove plastic wrap and fry shells for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil using tongs and transfer on paper towels.
- For filling stir together ricotta, powdered sugar, lemon and orange zest. Chop chocolate into very small pieces and add to above.
- Fill shells using a pastry bag or a spoon.
- Crush mint candies with an old knife or place candies in a thick plastic food bag and crush using a rolling pin.
- Dip ends of Cannoli into crushed mint pieces and sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar. Add extra chocolate chips for decoration if desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Source Imperial Sugar