Here is the chickpeas filling or cassateddi best recipe. One of the variants from the original recipe of the cassateddi stuffed with ricotta, honey or sugar and spices, are the cassateddi filled with chickpeas and cocoa cream: the taste is typical and very agreeable to the palate.
These home-made pastries are prepared where chickpeas are grown in abundance.
The cassateddi with chickpeas cream are exclusively prepared in Borgetto, a small town in the province of Palermo; however, this filling is used in the Sicilian hinterland and in Calabria’s country towns.
For the Filling
- 12 oz chickpeas flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 4 oz. bitter cocoa
- ½ cup diced candied fruit
- pinch of vanilla powder
- 1 drop cinnamon oil
- ¼ cup orange liquor or brandy
For the Dough
- 2 lb. Semolina flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar or 6 tablespoons of honey
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil or 4 oz. Crisco or butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 shots of cognac or vodka or ½ cup of Marsala wine
- small pinch of salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- water if needed
- canola or corn oil for deep frying
- Use a blender or thoroughly mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Filling should be of a nice and smooth consistency. If filling is too watery, add more chickpeas flour; if needs more liquid add some more brandy a few drops at the time.
- Taste it and add more sugar if needed.
- Mix all ingredients to make dough and knead for 4-5 minutes. Dough should be smooth and more consistent of bread or pizza dough.
- Add some water if the dough is too hard to knead.
- Cover and rest dough for 20/30 minutes.
- Divide the dough in 4 pieces, and divide each piece into 6 pieces, shape into balls.
- Roll each piece of dough with a rolling pin to 1/8 inch, giving an elliptical shape.
- In the center of each piece, place 1 teaspoon of filling, and pull over the stuffed dough the long way.
- In the shape of a half moon, press down on the borders, making sure they are properly sealed to avoid the filling from leaking.
- Place them in a greased baking sheet.
- When you have prepared all the cassatelle proceed with the cooking.
- Over a medium heat, deep fry the cassatelle and turn until golden on both sides.
- Transfer to a dish covered with paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar or honey and serve hot or cold.
Source and picture: https://siciliancookingplus.com/recipe-items/cassateddichickpeas-filling/