3 TBS OLIVE OIL
2 TBS BUTTER
1 CHICKEN – 2 – 2 ½ LBS – cut in pieces
6 FRESH TOMATOES
1 GARLIC CLOVE – minced
4 TBS ITALIAN PARSLEY – finely chopped
1 CARROT – finely diced
1 CELERY STALK – finely diced
2/3 CUP RED or WHITE WINE
1 LARGE ONION – roughly chopped
SEA SALT and GROUND BLACK PEPPER
GARLIC POWDER – optional
- Season the chicken pieces with a little salt and freshly ground pepper and garlic powder.
- In a large skillet with a cover, heat the oil and butter.
- Add the chicken pieces, skin side down, and the onions.
- Sauté for 10 or 12 minutes, add the minced garlic and stir. Continue cooking until the chicken is browned on both sides.
- Add the tomatoes that have been peeled, seeded and chopped. (If you prefer, you can use 6-8 chopped canned plum tomatoes, with a little of their juice.)
- Add the carrot and celery and the wine of your choice.
- Cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and is tender.
- Remove the cover, add the parsley and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
NOTE: serve with a side of pasta with the Cacciatore sauce pour over it and mixed I well.