The Cherry-Pistachio Cornmeal Biscotti. Perfect with coffee, these unusually delicious biscotti are made with blue cornmeal and studded with dried fruit.
A hint of anise gives it that famous Italian sensibility.
SERVING: Yields 36
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. coarsely chopped shelled pistachios
- 1/2 c. blue cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. anise seed (or 1/4 teaspoon ground anise)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. cold water
- 1/2 c. chopped and dried cherries
- 3 oz. best-quality white chocolate
- Arrange 2 racks in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper; lightly grease.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, pistachios, cornmeal, baking powder, anise, and salt. With mixer on low speed, beat 10 seconds or until combined. Beat in butter, a little at a time, until well blended. Add eggs and water; beat until dough forms a ball. Add cherries and beat 5 seconds or until evenly distributed.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface; divide in half. Shape each piece into 9-inch-long, 3 1/2-inch-wide log. Place 1 log on each prepared cookie sheet. Bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned, rotating sheets between upper and lower racks halfway through baking. Cool on sheets on wire racks 15 minutes. Reset oven control to 350 degrees F.
- Transfer logs to cutting board. With serrated knife, slice logs at an angle into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place slices on cookie sheets in single layer. Bake 12 minutes or until lightly browned around edges, rotating sheets between upper and lower racks halfway through baking.
- Turn biscotti over and bake 8 minutes or until tops are lightly browned around edges. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- In small saucepan, heat 1 inch water to boiling on high; reduce heat to low. Place chocolate in small heatproof bowl and set over pan, stirring frequently until chocolate is melted. Let cool 5 minutes.
- When biscotti are cool, place sheet of waxed paper under rack. With fork, drizzle chocolate over biscotti. Let harden, about 5 minutes. Store in airtight container, with waxed paper between layers, at room temperature up to 1 week.
Source and picture: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/a8621/cherry-pistachio-blue-corn-biscotti-recipe-ghk1210/