Caesar Salad Soup, your salad in a cup!
- 4 cups Italian bread cubes
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5-6 Anchovy fillets
- 4 Garlic cloves – finely chopped
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 head romaine lettuce – torn
- 1 head escarole – torn
- Freshly ground pepper – to taste
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Freshly grated romano cheese – for sprinkling
- Salt – to taste
- Heat oven to 300º. Toss the bread cubes with a little olive oil and toast in a single layer on a baking sheet for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the anchovies and cook, stirring until they are melted and paste-like.
- Lower heat, add the garlic and cook for a few minutes. Do not let the garlic burn.
- Add the croutons, Worcestershire Sauce and toss well.
- In a saucepan add the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add the romaine and escarole and simmer for about 10 minutes. Do not boil.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Add the lemon juice and stir. Arrange the croutons among the individual soup bowls and spread the greens evenly over the top.
- Carefully ladle the broth over all.
- Pass the cheese for sprinkling.
NOTE: I have made this soup also adding some iceberg lettuce and it works just. Fine. I remember my Grandmother making a soup similar to this but we didn’t call it Caesar Salad Soup. I think we just called it Lettuce Soup.