Here is the Butternut Squash Risotto or Risotto alla Zucca. One of the most delicious Italian dish.
SERVINGS: Serves 4-6
- 1 butternut squash (2 pounds)
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2oz of pancetta, diced
- 20 sprigs of fresh sage leaves
- 6 Tbls of butter
- 2 Tbls of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup of fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 Tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup of fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Peel the squash and cut in half and remove the seeds.
- Dice the squash and place them on a cookie sheet.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil, season with a little salt and pepper and bake at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes until fork tender. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring the broth to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer.
- In a large pot sauté the shallots, garlic, pancetta and 4 sage leaves in the butter and oil for around 6 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and coat well with the butter and oil.
- Add the wine.
- Add the broth 1 cup at a time stirring until each cup is absorbed by the rice.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the squash and parmesan cheese.
- In a separate pan heat 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil and fry the remaining sage leaves until crisp.Plate the risotto and top with fried sage leaves.