Here is the bistecca all fiorentina a traditional Florentine steak recipe that almost every Tuscan home mastered.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salty and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges
- Steak from the rib – Bone left on, 2-3 inches thick
- Rub the steak on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle only with pepper.
- Cook over a very hot grill until it is rare but no more than medium – rare.
- Add the salt after the meat has cooked so that the salt does not draw out all the juices from the meat.
- Slice and serve with lemon wedges. Figure on ½ pound per person.
Note: Tuscany has a very special kind of beef cattle called Chianina and this is where you will have the most delicious beef steak. This was a special Father’s Day dinner for Charlie and the family one Father’s Day. We also indulged again in Italy with the true Chianina beef when we were in Tuscany. Though we are not in Italy this Father’s Day, it’s a favorite so as the family gathers to honor all the Dads in our family, we will indulge again.
Wishing all the Dads out there a wonderful Father’s Day.