The Sicilian Almond Cookies. This is a recipe for a traditional Sicilian sweet.
This is a very easy recipe to make delicious almond cookies, just like the ones you would eat in Erice.
SERVING: Makes 25 cookies
- 2 whole Egg Whites
- ½ pounds, ⅞ ounces, weight Almond Meal
- 6-¼ ounces, weight Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 25 whole Candied Cherries
- Caster Sugar, To Sprinkle On Top Of Cookies
- Beat the egg whites until stiff with an electric mixer.
- Then add the almond meal, sugar and lemon zest.
- Mix well until the dough comes together.
- Put spoonfuls of dough on a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Make sure to leave some space between the cookies as they will expand while baking.
- Add a cherry on each spoonful of dough and sprinkle a little caster sugar on the top.
- Let the cookies rest for 10 hours in a dry place BEFORE baking them (I keep them in the oven, with the door slightly open).
- Then cook them in a preheated oven at 256 F fan forced for 10-12 minutes.
- They have to remain whitish in colour; if you overcook them, they will become very hard!
- Serve them at room temperature with a cup of tea or coffee. They are deliciously soft!
Source and picture: https://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/sicilian-almond-cookies/