The best home-made Italian cream puffs (profiteroles). Easy, simple and fantastic Italian recipe!!!
Yield: about 15 cream puffs.
- 1 cup of water
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- Combine butter and water in saucepan; bring to a boil and then lower heat until butter is melted.
- Add flour all at one time and stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball and leaves the sides of the pan. Remove from heat.
- Add unbeaten eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition; continue beating until a thick dough is formed.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheet or parchment paper about 2 inches apart. Bake in a hot oven (425 degrees) about 25-30 minutes. Do not open door during early part of baking.
- When cool, with a small knife, cut a slit in the side of each and fill with cream. Before serving, dust with confectionery sugar.
- Sugar, 2/3 cup
- Flour, 4 tablespoons
- Salt, 1/4 teaspoon
- Milk, 2 cups
- Eggs, 2 or egg yolks, 4 (I prefer yolks) slightly beaten
- Cinnamon stick, 1
- Large lemon peel
Combine dry ingredients in top of double boiler, stir milk gradually. Add lemon peel and cinnamon stick. Cook over boiling water until thickened, stirring constantly. Cover and cook for 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
Stir a little of the hot mixture into slightly beaten eggs or egg yolks; slowly stir into remaining hot mixture. Cook over hot (not boiling water for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Chill.