Besciamella, or béchamel, is a creamy “mother sauce” that adds deep but delicate flavor to some of our favorite dishes, such as lasagna.
Keep this béchamel recipe close any time you’re in the mood to whip up the famed layered pasta dish!
YIELD: 4-6 servings
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter until it has melted. Add the flour and stir until the consistency is smooth.
- Over medium heat, continue to cook until the mixture turns a light golden brown, about 6-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a separate pan until it is just about to boil.
- Add the milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously, until it is very smooth and is brought to a boil.
- Cook the sauce for 30 seconds and then remove it from the heat.
- Season the besciamella with salt and nutmeg, to taste and set aside until ready to use.