The Italian Lady’s kisses cookies or Baci di dama. One of the most famous Italian delicious cookies.
SERVINGS: Serves 4
- 4 ½ oz all-purpose flour
- 4 ½ oz sugar
- 3 ½ oz roasted hazelnut
- 1 oz almonds, peeled
- 4 ½ oz butter
- 1 oz unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 ½ oz dark chocolate
- In a blender, pulse the hazelnuts and almonds with the sugar until finely ground.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and mix with the butter.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder together, then incorporate into the nut mixture, stirring as little as possible.
- Wrap the mixture in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the mixture on a lightly floured pastry board to a thickness of about 3/8 inch (1 cm).
- Cut out discs with pastry rings 5/8 to 3/4 inch (1.5 to 2 cm) in diameter and shape into balls with your hands.
- Butter and flour a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
- Arrange the balls on the baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely, then remove the balls from the pan and turn them upside-down.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl that fits snugly over a pot of barely simmering water (or in the microwave).
- Let the chocolate cool and when it starts to thicken, pour a little on each of half of baci di dama.
- Gently press the remaining baci di dama on top of the chocolate and let set.
Source and picture: Academia Barilla