Here is the Baccala’ alla Vicentina or Codfish Vicentina-style. A delicious fish recipe from Veneto, typical of the the beautiful city of Vicenza: learn how to prepare it from our chefs step by step.
Total time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
- 1 lb stockfish
- ½ lb milk
- 3 ½ oz onion
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 oz salted anchovies
- a pinch of parsley
- 2 oz all-purpose flour
- grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the codfish for 24 hours.
- Remove the spinal bone and the other fish bones.
- In a casserole with oil, brown the onion, add a little salt.
- Add crushed anchovies and chopped parsley.
- Cut the codfish into chunks, flour the chunks then sprinkle grated cheese on them.
- Add a little milk to the casserole, keep on low heat, add codfish and cook.
- Add more milk if necessary, season with a little salt and pepper and cook till ready.
The casserole with the codfish should never have the lid on because this will make the fish turn dark. There should be abundant oil, low heat, as it should not fry but cook lightly. Do not stir with a ladle as the fish tends to come apart, simply move the casserole in a clockwise direction.
Source: Academia Barilla