From my Grandma’s Memories this old and traditional Italian recipes.
SERVINGS: Serves 4
- 1 lb eggplant
- 3 ½ oz butter
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 ½ oz tomato sauce
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 3 ½ oz Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Bring a medium pot of cold water to a boil.
- Meanwhile peel the eggplants and cut them, vertically, into ½-inch thick slices.
- When the water reaches a boil, add coarse salt to taste, then the eggplant slices and simmer for five minutes.
- Transfer eggplants onto a cotton dish towel, using a strainer skimmer.
- Let the eggplant drain completely.
- Place a medium casserole with the butter and olive oil over medium heat, and when the butter is melted, add the chopped onion and the cut up or ground prosciutto.
- Sautè for two minutes, then arrange all the eggplant pieces in the casserole, lightly season with salt and pepper and add the tomatoes.
- Simmer for thirty minutes, stirring every so often and adding a little broth if needed.
- By that time eggplant should be soft and completely cooked.
- You can serve, with or without the grated cheese, immediately or at room temperature after a few hours.
- This dish may be reheated and served as a side dish or even as an appetizer.
Source and picture: Academia Barilla