These little goodies are wonderful served at an afternoon tea.
Children and adults love them alike so make some up for a party or for a snack for when your kids have their friends over.
They also make great gifts during the holiday season.
Try different types of fillings besides apricot. Cherry, strawberry, raspberry, peach and lemon are nice choices.
Always use seedless jam or preserves.
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks/12 oz./340g) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated or superfine sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Seedless apricot jam (or other flavor jam of your choice)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar and stir in the vanilla extract.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour and salt.
Combine the flour mixture and the butter mixture until the dough is crumbly but holds together when pinched.
4. Take a walnut-sized piece of dough in one hand.
With the thumb of the other hand, gently knead it three times.
Roll it into a ball and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
With your knuckle or thumb, press a well in the center and fill with 1/2 teaspoon of jam.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes and remove from sheet onto cooling rack.
Makes 6 dozen cookies.