- ½ recipe simple yeast dough
- 1 cup apricot preserves – or your favorite
- 1 egg
- 1 tb water
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Grease a cookie sheet.
- Roll the dough out to a 16X12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured board.
- Spread preserves down the center of the long side of the dough. Spread to a 4-inch width.
- Make cuts in the dough on either side of the preserves in the center in 1-inch intervals.
- Fold the strips over the preserves, alternating sides to cover the preserves completely.
- Beat the egg in the water and brush all over the dough and sprinkle with almonds and sugar. (I mix the almonds in a small bowl with the sugar. After I spread this over the bread, I then sprinkle any remaining sugar.)
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes or just until golden.
- Loosen under the bread with dough scraper or sharp knife and carefully slide bread onto a wire rack to cool.