A simple way to make Brunch special! This can be a delicious appetizer.
8 SLICES CHALLAH BREAD
3 EGGS – lightly beaten
PINCH OF SALT
1 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
½ CUP BUTTER – melted – or more as needed
2/3 CUP APRICOT PRESERVES –
not jam or jelly
¼ CUP MAPLE SYRUP –more as needed
1 CUP MILK
2 TSP SUGAR
POWDERED SUGAR – for dusting
1 TSP CINNAMON
- Whisk together melted butter, apricot preserves, maple syrup and stir until they are well blended and of a thick pouring consistency. Taste and adjust for flavorings. Pour into serving pitcher and keep warm.
- In the meantime, have your griddle reaching cooking temperature on the stove top.
- In a shallow bowl mix together, eggs, vanilla extract, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and milk. Whisk until totally combined. Heat about a tablespoon of butter on the griddle or more if your griddle is large. Dip the bread slices in the milk mixture until fairly saturated, flipping both sides in the mixture to coat well.
- Add the bread to the griddle without crowding. Cook until golden brown on both sides
- and place on a warm serving dish.
- Dust slices with powdered sugar and pour some syrup over each slice. Pass extra syrup for topping.
NOTE: serve with crisp bacon or your favorite breakfast sausage. I’ve made this recipe also using peach preserves and orange marmalade.