These Italian Cookies are the perfect bites of sweetness and are the perfect choice for any cookie platter, holiday or otherwise.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract (okay to use anise or vanilla too!)
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In the microwave melt butter in a bowl.
- Beat the melted butter about 2 minutes.
- Add granulated sugar and mix well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, about 1 minute each.
- Mix in lemon extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture slowly, until fully incorporated. Don’t overmix.
- If the cookie dough is too sticky to roll in the palm of your hand, add a bit of flour. However, the dough should remain very soft, so don’t add too much.
- Roll the cookie dough in small balls (they puff up quite nicely) and place them on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes (mine took 8 minutes). The bottoms of the cookies should be lightly browned but the tops of should remain light in color.
- Remove cookies from the cookie sheet immediately and move to a wire rack. Cool completely before glazing.
- 3-4 Tablespoons milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (okay to use anise or vanilla)
- Slowly mix milk with powdered sugar and lemon extract.
- The glaze needs to be thick to adhere to the cookie.
- Dip the top of each cookie into the glaze.
- Sprinkle each cookie with nonpareils and leave them to completely dry.