Left over mashed potatoes? Here’s a brilliant way to upgrade them – Fried potato cakes!
Nothing in my kitchen goes to waste so I always use leftover mashed potatoes to make fried potato cakes. Everyone in my family loves and enjoys them. Every time I make mashed potatoes, I also reserve a lot of extra and save it for making these little cakes. They are a good side dish for another dinner, and they are great for breakfast with eggs.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes – unseasoned
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion or several green onions, chopped
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (can use cayenne if you like heat)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- ¾-1 cup oil for frying
- Mix all ingredients into the potatoes except the oil. Form it into patties.
- Fry in hot oil until browned on both sides. This recipe makes about 12 patties.