Makes 6 servings.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate -chopped fine.
- Stir together the vanilla and espresso powder in a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in a large saucepan.
- Whisk in the yolks and cream until fully incorporated, scraping the corners of the saucepan.
- Whisk in the milk until incorporated.
- Place the saucepan on medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbling (5 to 8 minutes).
- Cook an additional 30 seconds, then remove from heat and add butter and chocolate.
- Whisk until melted and fully incorporated. Whisk in the vanilla mixture.
- Pour the pudding through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl.
- Press a lightly greased sheet of parchment paper against the surface of the pudding and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Whisk pudding briefly before serving.
- Sometimes, instead of vanilla extract and because we all enjoy raspberry, I will use 1 jigger of Framboise.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream!