Here is the Amaretti – the Italian Almond Cookie. These classic Italian almond macaroons are light and crunchy.
Amaretti have an egg white base and are an easy-to-make cookie.
- 3 cups slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups super fine granulated sugar (divided)
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Toast almonds on large baking sheet in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and let cool. Lower oven temperature to 300°F (150°C).
- Transfer almonds to food processor. Add flour and 1/4 cup sugar; pulse until finely ground.
- Beat egg whites and almond extract in large bowl with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until sugar is dissolved and stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in almond mixture.
- Spoon 1-1/2 inch (4 cm) mounds onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet 1-1/2 inches (4 cm) apart.
- Bake until just starting to brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, then store in covered container for up to one week.
- If you can’t find super fine sugar, make your own.
- Place about 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar in food processor.
- Process until sugar is finely powdered. Measure out 1-1/4 cups.
- Instead of flour, use cocoa powder to make Chocolate Amaretti.
- Spoon each batch just before baking.
- Use a 1-inch (2.5 cm) ice cream scoop to quickly form cookies.