These classic Italian almond macaroons are light and crunchy.
Amaretti have an egg white base and are an easy-to-make cookie.
- 3 cups slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups super fine granulated sugar (divided)
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Toast almonds on large baking sheet in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and let cool. Lower oven temperature to 300°F (150°C).
- Transfer almonds to food processor. Add flour and 1/4 cup sugar; pulse until finely ground.
- Beat egg whites and almond extract in large bowl with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until sugar is dissolved and stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in almond mixture.
- Spoon 1-1/2 inch (4 cm) mounds onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet 1-1/2 inches (4 cm) apart.
- Bake until just starting to brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, then store in covered container for up to one week.
If you can’t find super fine sugar, make your own.
Place about 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar in food processor.
Process until sugar is finely powdered. Measure out 1-1/4 cups.
Instead of flour, use cocoa powder to make Chocolate Amaretti.
Spoon each batch just before baking.
Use a 1-inch (2.5 cm) ice cream scoop to quickly form cookies.