This refreshing pie is a cross between lemon curd and coconut custard, with the additional flavors of almond.
Serve it cold on a hot day!
20 minutes to assemble
55-60 minutes to bake
Total time: 75-80 minutes
- 1 homemade or frozen 9″ deep-dish pie shell
- 2 large lemons
- 1-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste, grated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
Optional: whipped cream
- Position oven rack to low level and preheat oven to 350°F. Line pie shell with foil or parchment and weigh down with rice or pie weights.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until crust is set and edges are light golden. Remove weights and cool pie shell on wire rack.
- While crust is cooking, grate lemons to measure 2 teaspoons peel and squeeze to measure 1/3 cup juice. Set juice and peel aside.
- Using an electric mixer set on low, beat Almond Paste, sugar and grated lemon until the texture of small crumbs.
- Add eggs and egg whites one at a time until incorporated. Beat on high until mixture is light colored and fluffy.
- Add coconut, reserved lemon juice, butter, salt and extract. Beat until mixed.
- Pour filling into crust and bake 55-60 minutes or until pie is set and top golden. Cool on a cake rack then refrigerate until chilled.
- Serve cold, plain or top with whipped cream.
Source and picture: Odense