Makes about 24
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsps baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup raw almonds – chopped
- ¼ tsp orange extract
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange zest – optional
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- Coat a baking sheet lightly with cooking spray.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl with an electric mixer to form a dough.
- When ready, form logs 12X2 1/2-inches and 1-inch thick.
- Bake about 20 minutes.
- Remove and cool on rack.
- Cut into ¾-ich slices while still warm.
- Put them back on the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes longer.
- Cool completely on rack.
Note: Enter any house in Montefollonico and you will undoubtedly be offered one of these with a small glass of Vin Santo.