Here is the traditional french potato pie. An excellent dish when you want to impress!
1 ½ LBS YUKON GOLD POTATOES
2 SHEETS PUFF PASTRY
2 GARLIC CLOVES
1 ¼ CUPS HEAVY CREAM
1 EGG YOLK
2 TBS PARSLEY – chopped
SPRINKLING OF HOT PAPRIKA
SALT – to taste
FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER – to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Defrost Puff pastry.
- Lightly grease 8 or 9-inch oven dish.
- Peel and slice the potatoes finely with a mandolin. Peel and slice the onions using the mandolin, too.
- In a large bowl, add the fresh onions, parsley, Paprika, salt and pepper. Peel and press garlic cloves on top. Mix all together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Preheat oven to 400º. Put the first puff pastry in the baking dish, fit to size and prick with a fork. Add the potato mixture on top and spread evenly. Cover with the second puff pastry. Mix the egg with a little water and brush on top of the pastry.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 400º and then lower temperature of 350º and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the top layer of puff pastry carefully using a spatula or a knife.
- Mix the Paprika together with the cream and spread evenly over the top. Cover again and bake for 5 minutes to allow the cream to settle through the potatoes.
- Serve warm.