This easy chicken dish is quite delicious and equally impressive for company.
- 1 chicken or chicken parts – your choice, cut into serving size pieces
- 1 red or purple onion – thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- garlic powder – to taste
- 4-5 garlic cloves – thinly sliced
- 1 cup good white wine – one you would enjoy drinking while you cook
- 1 large yellow onion – thinly sliced
- ½ cup vin santo
- fresh parsley – chopped for topping
- ¼ cup olive oil – for frying
- Rinse and dry well all the chicken pieces.
- Rub lightly with a little olive oil and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat oil in a heavy frying pan and when the oil is hot, place the chicken in the pot skin side down.
- Cook over medium-high heat without moving the chicken until the skin is brown. Turn over and cook the other side.
- When done, remove to a place and tent to keep warm.
- Return the oil to medium-high heat and add all the onions and the garlic.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and cook until very soft.
- Add the white wine and cook until the aroma of the wine has disappeared.
- Return the chicken to the pan, cover with some of the onions.
- Cover and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes on a lower heat.
- Uncover, add the Vin Santo and simmer for 15 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve.
This is a great dish to serve with rice or polenta and a nice salad.
NOTE: Vin Santo is a delicious, sweet wine and adds a wonderful flavor to this dish. If you are not able to get some Vin Santo, a sweet or dry Vermouth can be used but it will have a different flavor.